Friday, December 12, 2008

Was Gandhi a Christian?

This is more for older people because he does not have alot of influence on my generation but even though he did not directly claim to be I am certain God worked through him and accomplished many things.  Here is why I say that.

"A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act."
Mohandas Gandhi

Sounds a lot like Jesus does it not?

Gandhi replied, "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/552.htm

He lead a non-violent "Salt March" when the British prevented the Indian people from making or gathering salt. The officers clubbed the unarmed protesters. Eventually this enabled India to gain their freedom from Britain.

This is an example of Jesus's teaching on "Turning the other cheek" and is certainly easy to say but hard to do.

Luke 6:29
If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also.

http://www.thenagain.info/Webchron/India/SaltMarch.html

From looking at his quotes online I find that at least 75% of them are in line with the biblical teachings of Jesus.  Even though he did great things and had a great phyosofical understanding and I do not know if he will be in heaven but he did love Jesus and did understand Grace or as he would say "the freedom to make mistakes". Did he turn from sin? Yes its clear he was turning from evil. Was he born again as per John 3?  Probably not. Did he believe Jesus died for his sins and God raised him from the dead, as required for salvation? Hard to say. I gues that is why God is God and I am not.

1 comment:

Zeb Cameron said...

Also the persistent widow parable reminds me of the salt march. Luke 18:1-8